Paint Drip/Lava Lamp Nail Art

5:00:00 PM

Hello Polished People!  How are you all today??  I'm doing well!  Today I bring you my last neon summery creation.  Reason it's the last....well, summer is pretty much over.  It's starting to get cooler out, the days are getting shorter, and sooner than later the green leaves are going to start turning yellow, red, and orange.  Fall is one of my favorite seasons though, so I really am not too upset over it.  I could go on and on about how I love Fall, but that I'll save for another post.

For this manicure, I wanted to use my neons one last time.  A big goodbye to them.  I probably will be wearing them again in the winter when I'm sick of the snow.  I started looking around for ideas and I remembered a paint drip manicure I saw on pinterest a while back.  I started looking and came a cross a few that I liked.

Here's what I came up with....


Colors Used:
  • Sinful Colors - Snow me White
  • China Glaze - I'm With the Lifeguard
  • China Glaze - Hang Ten Toes
  • China Glaze - Splish, Splash
  • China Glaze - Sun Kissed
  • Sinful Colors - Summer Peach
Looks easy, right?  Yeah, not really.  This was a pain in the butt to me.  I saw a few YouTube tutorial videos which made it seem so simple!  All of them said to paint the design onto the nails using the regular paint brush and a few stripers.  It was beyond impossible for me.  The only nail which I was successfully able to do with the brushes was my pointer finger.

Instead of using brushes, I used a toothpick.  I outlined the design and then filled the colors in with my dotting tool.  Time consuming and rather annoying, but they came out rather cool looking!  When I showed Nicole (@PolishMePlease) from Polish Me, Please! and Gabi (@RubyStein79) they loved them.  Nicole said that they looked like lava lamps to her, the reason behind the title of this post.  And she was correct!  The neon colors on the white and my drippy patterns looked like the inside of a lava lamp!

The orange polish (on my pinkie finger) I swear is neon.  Summer Peach by Sinful Colors is an awesome neon orange polish.  For the life of me, I could not get it to photograph well.  The second to last picture was probably the closest I could get to what it actually looks like, and then in the last picture, it played some weird looking trick on my camera.  I love this polish, it was only .99 cents when I purchased it, and it was worth every penny.  To be honest, if it were the same price I paid for my China Glaze Summer Neons, I would have paid it as well.

Have you done a paint drip manicure before??  Do you have any tips or tricks?  I may have to try them again!

If you've tried them, I'd LOVE to see your attempts!  Send me a tweet or post a picture to Facebook! :)

Until next time, have a great one! <3

You Might Also Like

5 comments

  1. Really cute, although white gets messy like that LOL)) Your blog is very cute!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yeah I hate white polish because no matter what when cleaning the edges and such i slip and mess up. i got lazy and didnt feel like touching any of it up haahaha. thank you!

      Delete
  2. Hello, I am doing a 28 day nail art challenge in February, to help demonstrate a style I linked this post to mine. Thank you for being awesome!! Jilltastic
    http://www.jilltasticnaildesign.com/2012/12/nail-art-techniques-defined.html

    ReplyDelete

Oh how I love reading all of your comments! I truly appreciate each and every single one!